About dental implants
Dental implants are used to replace one or more missing teeth and restore your appearance & confidence, while giving you the ability to speak and eat naturally. In addition, they can support dentures & bridges and increase comfort while reducing the potential for bone loss. Implants consist of a metal anchor that serves as a substitute for the missing root, and a replacement tooth that fits over the anchor, matching your natural teeth. Dental implants can improve your quality of life, your comfort and your confidence. They can also improve your dental health, preventing the bone loss that can accompany missing teeth, and restoring facial structure.
What to expect with dental implants
Our dentists can evaluate your dental needs to determine whether implants are right for you. If you have multiple missing or unhealthy teeth, you may also be interested in a few implant alternatives, like a bridge or partial denture. No matter the best method of treatment for you, the result will be natural looking teeth, a beautiful smile and restored function.
We offer the latest technology for dental implants, designed to provide the most effective solution for our patients. The process of getting dental implants often takes several months, and happens in two parts for most patients.
The first part is having a metal implant placed in your jawbone. Titanium implants mimic the function of a natural root to hold the tooth in place, so chewing and speaking are easier and more natural. This will support your eventual replacement tooth, but needs time — 3 to 6 months — to heal and bond with the jawbone.
The second part of dental implant surgery is having the replacement tooth attached to the implant. The artificial tooth will be created just for you to perfectly match your smile, and will be able to look, feel and function like a natural tooth. Afterward, you can walk out of our office confident in your new, beautiful smile, and the ability to laugh, talk and eat normally again.
Dental implant procedures can vary depending on the patient. During your consultation with our team, we will let you know exactly what to expect during your dental implant procedure and what to expect during recovery. For patients who are nervous about being at the dentist, we also offer sedation dentistry options for your visit.
Who can benefit from dental implants
Dental implants may be a viable option for people who are experiencing:
- One or more missing teeth
- Broken teeth
- Advanced cases of tooth decay where extraction is the best option
- Patients who are experiencing discomfort with their current dentures, partial dentures, or bridges that do not currently use implant technology
Those who have insufficient bone or other health conditions may not be suitable candidates for dental implants. It’s important to discuss your entire medical history with our team while we’re considering your candidacy for dental implants to help ensure that no complications arise.
How to care for dental implants
It’s just as important to care for your dental implants as it is your natural teeth. Regular brushing with a soft toothbrush and flossing should still be done at least twice a day to keep the teeth clean. Additionally, our team may suggest these tips to help add longevity to your dental implants:
- Using a water flosser instead of traditional floss to help prevent peri implantitis – inflammation of the gum and bone structure around implants
- Using specially designed crown and bridge floss to thoroughly clean under and around dental implants
- Buying a low-abrasive toothpaste without ingredients such as baking soda and other stain-removing agents that can remove the acrylic and glaze from dental implants
- Choosing an angle-necked or other toothbrush that allows you to clean under and around your dental implants. Implants are just as susceptible to bacteria and plaque buildup as normal teeth, so having dental products that allow you to keep implants clean between dental visits is important
Coming to our office for regular dental visits will also allow us to evaluate the health and integrity of your dental implants, and we’ll help you guide you on the best ways to properly care for them.
If you’re in need of a tooth replacement, get in touch with our office
At Moore and Pascarella, we want to help you put your best smile forward. We offer happy, healthy, family dentistry in Redding and Red Bluff, and we specialize in a wide variety of dental services. If you think you’re a candidate for dental implants or want to know more, reach out to us today to schedule a consultation.